Thursday, May 28, 2015

New Ingredient : Organic dehydrated coconut palm nectar (Coconut Palm Sugar)

I have brought a new ingredient into my formulating kitchen; Organic Coconut Palm Sugar.

Organic dehydrated coconut palm nectar

I am excited about this new arrival. It is a healthy low-glycemic sweetener that is loaded with minerals. When I opened the bag, the scent of sugary caramel notes wafted up to my nose. It looks a lot like brown sugar, except it is drier looking. The taste is very pleasant and full-bodied.

It can be used as a 1:1 replacement for regular sugar. It is not sugar-free however. My understanding is that it has the same glycemic rating as carrots or peas, which is a lot better than cane sugar.

Organic dehydrated coconut palm nectar is Vegan and Paleo diet approved.

This sugar goes through minimal processing and is much healthier for you that other sugars. When my parents lived in Fiji, they met natives who loved their coconut palm nectar, and swore that they did not get cavities from it as they did when they ate cane sugar. Interesting. More research to come...

I will be having fun experimenting with this tasty sweetener, so stay tuned!

Look for it at your local health food store.

See my recipe for Vanilla Creme Brulee Instant Pudding, which is my first creation using coconut palm sugar.








Happy formulating!

Leila.

No comments:

Post a Comment