Tuesday, May 12, 2015

New Ingredient Arrivals for Gluten-Free Baking!

My mom sent me an early birthday present and it arrived yesterday...

Organic Coconut Flour, Ultra Gel, and Hi-Maize Resistant Starch for my birthday.


What does a foodie hope to receive for their birthday? Probably exotic dark chocolate made from Hawaiian cocoa beans.

What does a nerdy food-formulating foodie dream of receiving for their birthday? Stay tuned and I'll tell you.

If you have been following our blog, Kitchen Cheetahs, you know that we have been happily working on creating delicious and healthy low-carb pancakes. I have needed some additional ingredients to create the high level of success we are seeking. My mom and I exchange ideas continually, and share our experiments and progress. We think this is fun. Being the observant person that she is, she soon announced that my early birthday present was on it's way. Cool beans! She gives the best gifts.

Soon to my door, what should appear? A big bag of coconut flour, clear Gel, and more! 

I love her gift because my whole family will benefit from it. I will be able to make great tasting bakery and breakfast items that will support my family in a healthy way. I will be able to make pancakes that my whole family will enjoy, that at the same time, work for my husband and I in our goal of healthy low-carb eating.

We here at Kitchen Cheetahs, are also pleased to be able to share the up and coming recipes with you. We want to support you in your healthy ways of eating too.

I am very excited over what my mom sent me:
Organic coconut flour
Ultra Gel
Hi-Maize Resistant Starch


Organic coconut flour is a must-have for low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo baking. It is a very important component in healthy flour blends. It's very high in dietary fiber, healthy fats, and is very low in carbohydrates. Honeyville Grain sells organic coconut flour in 25 pound bags. Package it in smaller air-tight bags and seal in a 6-gallon food storage bucket for long term storage. It will last a long time this way. Coconut flour is  recommended in a book called The 100, by Jorge Cruise, and is promoted in other books like Grain Brain, Wheat Belly, as well as several paleo cookbooks.

Ultra Gel is another cool ingredient used for instantly thickening hot or cold foods. I like to use it to make sugar-free jams and sauces. It can also be used to add body to frostings. It is also available online through Honeyville Grain.

Hi-Maize, by National Starch - I have been wanting resistant starch for low-carb, gluten-free baking. Why resistant starch? Because your body does not absorb it like it does normal starch. That means it is much lower in carbohydrates! It can be used to replace up to 25% of the flour used in a recipe. It has a neutral taste and gives a great texture to baked goods. It is a trade secret for gluten-free, low-carb formulating. Now you know. A particular brand of resistant starch that is available to the public is called Hi-Maize, made by National Starch. It is made from corn. Our family do not have issues with corn and plus, this product has been purified. There is resistant tapioca starch too, but it is expensive and not readily available. You can order Hi-Maize online from Honeyville Grain. 

Organic coconut Flour

Ultra Gel

Resistant Starch by National Starch.

Hi-Maize 260 is the trade name of the resistant starch.


I'm now set to mix, bake, and explore.
Happy Baking!

P.S. Make sure you check out this post for great low-carb pancakes!

Leila.

2 comments:

  1. What is the nutritional values of Hi-maize cornstarch, especially the potassium and phosphorus content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would contact the manufacturer for that info. I do know that the carb count is much lower because it is a resistant starch.

    ReplyDelete