Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Mexican Black Bean, Avocado & Corn Salsa

Chow down on this delicious salsa, which is almost a meal in itself!



My daughter brought this to my Mother's Day dinner this year and it was a big hit. She doesn't really measure everything when she cooks (I wonder who she got that from), but I had her write down what she estimated was in her salsa.

The next day, I went about recreating it (because we ate it all - and it was a double batch!), writing down the exact amounts of everything as I went. It turned great, although I liked my daughter's even better - because hers was made with love. Both of my eldest daughters cooked for me on mother's Day and it was wonderful!


Here is my daughter's salsa recipe, with the exact measurements I worked out. This recipe doubles perfectly, if you want a bigger batch.

Feel free to play with the seasonings to suit your tastes.

Note: Her version did not have the onion salt, fresh tomato, lime zest or fresh minced jalapeno. Nor did it have fresh ground black pepper (she was out of it). She used garlic salt instead of garlic and salt.




Black Bean, Avocado & Corn Salsa Recipe:

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained (or 1 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed)
1 can Rotel (Mexican-style tomatoes with green chilies)
Zest of 1 lime, optional
1 lime, juiced
1 avocado, cubed
1 tomato, diced, optional
1/4th bunch cilantro, minced
2 large scallions, minced
2 t. minced jalapeno, to taste, optional
1/2 T. mild flavored olive oil
1/2 t. sea salt or BioSalt, to taste
1/2 t. onion salt
1/4 t. garlic powder (or 1 small clove garlic, smashed)
1/8 t. chili powder
1/8 t. ground cumin
1/8 t. ground coriander
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste


Method:

Dice the avocado and place in a medium sized bowl.
Pour the lime juice over top and lightly toss.
Add the Rotel, oil and seasonings to taste.
Add all of the other ingredients and gently mix together.
Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired.
Let the flavors blend an hour or so before serving with gluten-free corn chips.










Enjoy,

 Leila.

1 comment:

  1. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. Salsa Chips

    ReplyDelete