Monday, April 13, 2015

Thai Curry Soup (Noodles & Co.Copy-Cat Recipe)

A delicious rendition of a favorite soup


Noodles & Co. Thai Curry Soup
The first time I ate at Noodles & Co., I ordered their Thai Curry Soup. I loved it. I loved the fresh toppings, plus I adore the flavors of a good Thai curry anyway. I already make a great Thai curry at home, but this soup is lighter, so I wanted to figure out how to make this soup at home too.

I took my leftover soup home. I wrote down what I guessed was in the soup and proceeded to create a recipe. I did side-by-side taste tests until my recipe tasted and looked the same. I am very pleased with the results. I make sure I have the fresh produce needed for the best presentation and taste.

You can easily make this sugar-free and gluten-free if you want to. Use Golden Lakanto instead of palm sugar. Miracle noodles or mung bean noodles can be used instead of rice noodles.

I prefer to add the prepared noodles into the individual serving bowls right before serving. The texture of the noodles isn't as good when it is reheated, So I do not add the noodles to the whole batch of soup.


Leila's Thai Curry Soup (My Noodles & Co. knockoff):

2 Tablespoons yellow (or green) Thai curry paste (Mae Ploy brand) 
1 19-oz can coconut milk (like Ayroy-D brand)
1 2-oz cube palm sugar 
2 19-oz cans water
1 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt (or BioSalt) OR 2 to 3 T. Thai Fish Sauce
1 pkg rice noodles, prepared according to pkg directions
1/2 Large red onion, sliced into thin slivers (or sweet onion)
1/4 head cabbage, shredded
2 Medium tomato, fresh, cubed
mushroom, fresh, slices, optional
spinach, fresh, place a small handful on top of hot soup before serving
cilantro sprigs, garnish with about 5 on top of each bowl before serving
2 Medium carrots, shredded, optional
tofu, cubed, optional.


Method :
In a soup pan, add 2 T. curry paste and a little of the coconut cream from the top of the can of coconut milk. Stir to blend while heating to bubbling. 

Add more coconut milk and the onion and saute 2 minutes. 

Add the rest of the coconut milk, 2 cans of water, the palm sugar and heat until the palm sugar dissolves completely.

Add the carrots, cabbage, mushrooms and simmer lightly, just until the vegies are tender-crisp. 

Add the prepared rice noodles. Add salt and tomatoes. 

It is ready to serve when heated through. 

Ladle into bowls and top with baby spinach leaves and then cilantro sprigs. Serve hot.


Note: You may make this sugar free by replacing the palm sugar with 2 ounces of Lakanto's golden zero-calorie sweetener (or to taste). Lakanto's sweetener is made of erythritol and monk fruit extract.


Enjoy,

Leila.

No comments:

Post a Comment