Friday, April 10, 2015

Garlic Roasted Asparagus

An easy way to prepare fresh spring asparagus



I usually steam my asparagus but I wanted to try roasting it instead, just for something different. I think this is a nice option for when you are already using your oven. I use deodorized coconut oil so the coconut flavor doesn't interfere with the delicate taste of the asparagus. I also prefer using fresh garlic over dried garlic, but either works.

How will I cook my asparagus next time?

I will probably steam it.

Why?

Because I prefer the way it tastes.

When I steam asparagus, I put it in a serving dish when it is still tender-crisp and bright green. I then slather it in real butter, and season with fresh ground black pepper and onion salt to taste.

I noticed the asparagus was seriously lacking in buttery goodness when it was baked.

So, here is what I will do the next time I choose to roast asparagus: Use less coconut oil to roast the asparagus. Still infuse the coconut oil with the garlic. Roast in the same manner. Put hot asparagus in a serving dish and top with butter, season with fresh ground black pepper and onion salt to taste. Roll the asparagus spears around in the butter and seasonings to coat well and serve.

If you are vegan, stick with the coconut oil version, it still tastes great. I'm just a butter freak.

Garlic Roasted Asparagus

2 lb Asparagus
1 T. Deodorized coconut oil
1/2 t. Garlic powder or 1 to 2 cloves very finely minced fresh garlic
1/4 t. Onion salt, to taste
1/4 t. Fresh ground black pepper, to taste


Method:

Wash and trim the fresh asparagus (trim by snapping off the tough woody ends).

Lay the asparagus onto a rimmed baking sheet.

Gently warm the coconut oil and mix in the garlic powder or minced garlic.

Pour over the asparagus on the baking sheet.

Sprinkle onion salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Toss to coat well.

Roast asparagus in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.


Tip: If using garlic powder, you may alternately choose to generously oil the baking sheet with the coconut oil and sprinkle the desired seasonings over top and roast.

The seasoned asparagus in the roasting pan.

Transfer roasted asparagus to a serving dish.

Serve hot.



Enjoy,

Leila.

1 comment:

  1. Why don’t you use butter instead of coconut oil with your roasted version?

    ReplyDelete