Monday, March 30, 2015

The BEST Waldorf Salad (Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free)

Delicious Waldorf Salad - 
Perfect for a light lunch or as a sassy side to almost any meal.


Waldorf  Salad

This recipe is more than just the boring mayo stirred into diced celery and apples. This salad has a well balanced dressing that is a bit tangy, a bit sweet and a bit savory. It's perfect. it has been a classic in our homes for a long as I can remember. there is room for some unusual add-ins, like avocado, which tastes amazing. I like to add a touch more seasoned salt to the dressing if I'm using avocado.

When I was pregnant with my 3rd child, this salad got me through the long period of morning sickness. I'm glad it wasn't ice cream or chips that I craved! this salad has a nice balance of  healthful ingredients that my body must of needed then. Anyway, I still love this salad and I think you will too.


Perfect Waldorf Salad Recipe:

2 large red crisp apples, diced (about 2 cups)
4 large celery ribs, diced (about 2 cups)
1/2 to 1 cup crispy pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 to 1 cup organic raisins or sweetened dried cranberries
2 large ripe avocados, diced, optional

Dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise (you can mix 50/50 regular and diet mayo)
1/2 c. sour cream (try Kitchen Cheetah's Sour Cream Blend on this blog)
2 t. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 to 1 1/2 t. seasoned salt, to taste
2 T. raw honey, xylitol, Lakanto zero-cal sweetener, or raw sugar to taste
A pinch of cayenne powder, optional for a bit of heat


Method:

Mix up the dressing ingredients to taste in a medium sized serving bowl.

Wash and dice the produce, add to the dressing and mix well.

Add the avocado if using. Gently mix and check for seasoning and adjust as desired.

I like to sprinkle the nuts and dried fruit on top at serving time.

Make seasoned salt available at the table for sprinkling on top of the salad as well.

Serve immediately.


Notes:

You can make the dressing in advance and store in the fridge until needed. I will even make a bigger batch of dressing to use in multiple salads.

This salad is best eaten immediately once made.


Enjoy!

Leila & Nancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment