Monday, February 16, 2015

Copy-Cat Costco Rotisserie Chicken Salad Recipe - Delicious!



Rotisserie Chicken Salad (A Copy-Cat version of Costco's Rotisserie Chicken Salad)

The Best Rotisserie Chicken Salad

This Chicken Salad is superior to the rest, in my humble opinion. It is seasoned perfectly. It's not dry and bland, and it isn't overloaded with mayonnaise either. There is the perfect amount of finely diced celery and onion. The meat stays fresh tasting and the salad stores well.

We like shopping at Costco. My husband and I joke about our regular "Costco Dates". One day, Costco sampled their rotisserie chicken salad and of course we bought some. Our family pretty much inhaled it. Today I went back to Costco for more and they were sold out. However, they did have their 42-ounce packages of their cooked rotisserie white chicken meat for sale. We have tried that before and have really liked it because it does not taste oxidized, like left-over chicken usually does. Ugh - I hate the taste of oxidized meat, and I seem to be one of the very few people who seem to notice it.

I had the idea earlier to duplicate Costco's chicken salad, so now that they were sold out, I decided today was the day. I was really pleased with how my version turned out. We enjoyed the chicken salad on romaine lettuce leaves, topped with avocado and a sprinkling of smoked paprika and fresh ground pepper. On the side was a fresh fruit salad of pineapple, mandarin oranges, sliced bananas, drizzled with raw honey and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

For an even better fruit salad see this kitchen Cheetah recipe for "Easy Decadent Fruit Salad", our families favorite!

This made a tasty and fast meal and I have lots of chicken salad left over for quick meals later.

I like how this chicken salad is low-carb. Since you control the choice of seasoning, it's easy to make gluten-free too. By the way, Costco's rotisserie chicken is gluten-free and free of MSG.


Tip: Try using our Easy Juicy Roast Chicken Recipe (better than Costco's Rotisserie Chicken) instead of Costco's packaged chicken. It tastes even better and it's less expensive too!


Rotisserie Chicken Salad Recipe:

42 ounces (2 lb 10 oz package) Costco's rotisserie-cooked white chicken meat
2 c. finely diced celery (about 8 to 10 celery ribs)
3/4 c. finely minced sweet onion
1 c. Best Foods mayonnaise
1 t. freshly ground pepper (50 grinds)
1 t. McCormick Season All OR Kitchen Cheetahs Seasoned Salt, to taste


Method:

Hand shred the cooked white chicken meat and put in a medium sized mixing bowl.

Add the celery. onion, mayonnaise, and pepper, and a scant 1 t. seasoned salt.

Mix together well. Taste for seasoned salt, and add the rest of the seasoned salt called for, if desired.

Chill or serve immediately.

Use as a filling for lettuce wraps, celery sticks, pitas, or sandwiches. Also great as a side or on top of your favorite green salad.



Tip: You can substitute Costco's rotisserie chicken meat for the "EASY ROAST CHICKEN" recipe on this blog. It just takes more time and planning to make it from scratch.

Tip: To save a ton of time, place the chicken (in 3 separate batches) in a food processor and pulse to shred. Do not over blend or you will end up with a Pâté (oops). I do prefer the texture of the hand shredded chicken over the food processor shredded chicken. It's for you to decide...


Here are photos of the salad making process:


Costco's packaged rotisserie chicken meat


You may shred the cooked chicken in a food processor to save time.

Pulse the chicken to "shred".

Chicken "shredded" in a food processor.

The Rotisserie Chicken Salad with hand shredded chicken - before mixing together

Freshly mixed hand shredded chicken salad - looks good!

Chicken Salad lettuce wraps - topped with avocado and smoked paprika

Enjoy!

Leila

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this article. I am surely gonna try this.
    salad recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happened to the comments from a former Costco employee who said that they use 1/2 cup sour cream and parsley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw comments from a former Costco employee. But it’s easy to add those ingredients! Let me know what you prefer.

      Please check out my upcoming beauty and wellness company that I formulate for, BellaVos.com
      I’m very excited about this project.
      Bellavosint@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. I have made this many times, so great for when the weather is so hot. I always substitute 1/2 cup Greek yogurt for 1/2 of the mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe, Leila! So easy and healthy, I cannot wait to serve it at our next get-together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. I love making it so that I have something quick to eat when I’m busy.

      Delete
  5. Lovely and a great idea. Great tip on how to properly utilize Costco chicken Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete