Friday, February 20, 2015

Copy-Cat Bragg's Ginger Spice Apple Cider Vinegar Drink Recipe (Sugar-Free)

My Copy-Cat version of Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar All Natural Drink 
- Ginger Spice flavor

This drink is for those of you who are health conscious. Because this drink is not like a diet Coke...I'm just sayin'.

A dear friend of mine came over to my house drinking this bottled beverage. Of course I was curious. She likes it and says it is a definite pick-me-up. I  tasted it, and when I heard how much a bottle of it cost, I looked at the ingredient list and then I told her I thought I could duplicate it. It costs pennies to make yourself. She left me the bottle with a bit of the drink left in it. I figured out how to make the drink at home the next day and sent her the recipe.

This drink is not for everyone, but it is strangely good. You may have already heard about the health benefits of drinking a little apple cider vinegar daily. We know that ginger is amazingly good for us too. The 2 together are an improvement for the vinegar, I must say. I like not having any sugar added and the stevia does a nice job of sweetening this beverage without calories.

When I set out to duplicate a recipe, I always look at the product's ingredient list. I write down the ingredients like you see below. I leave space for me to write in the recipe amounts. I do a sensory test of the product and take notes. I source my ingredients and then get to formulating. Just in case you were curious. Personally, I think it's fun to formulate.

This is the ingredient list on the Bragg Ginger Spice bottle:

Pure distilled water
Bragg organic apple cider vinegar
organic ginger
organic stevia extract

Here is my formula...




Ginger Spice Apple Cider Vinegar Drink Recipe:

Yield: 1 quart
Difficulty level: Easy Peasy

Ginger Water Concentrate:

2-inch piece of raw ginger root
2 c. distilled or purified water

Ginger Drink:

Ginger concentrate, to taste
1/4 c. raw apple cider vinegar (like Bragg's) (plus 1 T. more for a tarter version)
1/4 t. stevia glycerite (recipe on this blog, or use Now brand)
Water to make up a total of 1 quart


Method:

Grate or finely mince the ginger into a medium-sized pot.
Add 2 cups water and place on the stove.
Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Take off heat and allow to steep. Let cool to room temperature.
Strain, pressing the pulp dry.
I like to add a bit more water to the spent ginger pulp and puree a bit in the blender and strain again.
Pour the desired amount of ginger concentrate into a 1-quart glass jar. (I pour in all of it!)
Add the vinegar and stevia glycerite. swirl to mix well.
Top off with water.
Taste and add more ginger or vinegar as desired.
Chill or serve over ice.


Variations:

Add 2 T. chia seeds
Add a pinch of tumeric powder
Add some real maple syrup, to taste (not sugar-free)


Some benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar: 

Contains antioxidants
Improves blood sugar levels
Antibacterial, so helpful for a sore throat

http://www.doctoroz.com/ says,
"Drinking apple cider vinegar before a high-carbohydrate meal improves insulin sensitivity—slowing the rate of blood sugar levels rising—in people who are insulin resistant (a prediabetes condition) or have type 2 diabetes, according to a 2004 study. The researchers note that vinegar may possess physiological effects similar to the anti-diabetes medications acarbose and metformin."
http://www.doctoroz.com/article/people-are-drinking-vinegar-should-you 





Enjoy,

Leila








Photos of the process (making a double batch):

I freeze my ginger and then grate the amount I want for my recipes.
Grate the ginger while it's still frozen. Here I have about 4 inches worth for a double batch.
Put the pot on the stove with 2 cups of water. Simmer covered, and then let steep.
The ginger has brewed and cooled somewhat and is ready for straining.
I use a fine mesh bag draped over a mason jar strainer to easily strain and then squeeze the ginger dry.


Pour ginger brew into fine mesh bag to strain.



Tightly squeeze the ginger dry.
Put the ginger root in a blender with 2 c. more water (for a double batch) and blend.


Yield: 4 cups ginger concentrate.
Now I am making my Ginger Spice Apple Cider Vinegar Drink. For my double batch I used the full 4 cups ginger concentrate.
Best served cold, over ice! Are you fighting off a cold? Add a pinch of cayenne and drink hot or cold. I like to add a little bit more ACV to make it more therapeutic. A touch more stevia added is fine too.

Author, Leila Wood.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I have had goat meat.A Mexican restaurant I used to enjoy in Plano, Texas always had a stew on the menu. Young kid is delicious.Older goat meat is a little too strong.
    Restaurants

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this helpfull blog.This is very informative.Dissolve the fat of your body quickly, by drinking our apple cider vinegar and cinnamon drink recipe early morning and before bed for 4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steeping cinnamon instead of ginger is fabulous. Enjoy!
      Please check out my upcoming beauty and wellness company
      Bellavos.com
      Bellavosint@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Can in use liquid organic stevia or monk fruit? If so how much? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you may add any sweetener you choose. Experiment with the sweetness level by adding just a touch and adding from there to taste. Each manufacturer is different, so write down the amount used that pleases you to make it easier to mix up next time.
      Please check out my upcoming company BellaVos.com. Here I am using my 35 years experience in the beauty and wellness industry to make skincare that is truly beneficial.

      Delete
  4. This is fantastic! I love the kind in the bottle but yes, it is expensive so I thought I'd try to make it on my own too. Glad I found this first! So refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other flavors can be made in addition to this one. Enjoy creating!
    Please check out my newest creation
    BellaVos.com for healthful personal care. BellaVosint@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, This is a great article shared by you. It's very informative and knowledgeable. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    organic apple cider vinegar

    ReplyDelete