Monday, January 26, 2015

Stevia Glycerite Recipe (Now brand copy-cat)

Stevia Glycerite (Now brand copy-cat recipe)



This is an awesome recipe - and so easy!

Stevia glycerite is a kitchen staple you will use all the time. Our whole family has used liquid stevia glycerite for years. I have also recommended it to many of my clients and friends, as a natural sugar substitute. For along time, our family purchased +Now brand stevia glycerite from the health food store. It is a bit expensive, so we researched a way to make our own. We found nothing online to help us, so a few years ago, we experimented and created this reliable formula, which we are now very excited to share with you!

This is a very valuable formula and it will save you a lot of money. The vegetable glycerine in this formula is a natural preservative, so no additional preservatives are needed. It is shelf stable too. We like to make up a larger batch and put it into squeeze bottles, old (washed) Now brand stevia glycerite bottles, or dark amber glass bottles with droppers.

We like to use this to sweeten smoothies, protein drinks, herbal teas, and other beverages. You only need about 3 to 4 drops to sweeten a large mug of herbal tea. I will use a little to sweeten applesauce, other fruit sauces and jams. There are lots of creative ways to use this healthy sugar alternative. It is also great to extend the sweetening power of other sugar-free sweeteners like xylitol or erythritol, or use to cut down on sugar sweeteners used like raw agave nectar, raw honey, maple syrup, and evaporated cane juice...We do not recommend using this alone in baked goods, as it does not give the necessary structure that sugar does.


STEVIA GLYCERITE Recipe:

4 C. natural vegetable glycerine, divided
1 C. purified or distilled water
150 grams 90% stevia powder (a white stevioside powder at 90% concentration)


Method:

Pour 2 cups of the glycerine and 1 cup water into a tall pot. Blend together well.
Add the 90% stevia powder while whisking with a wire whisk, to blend well.
Cook the mixture on high heat while whisking vigorously and constantly until it comes to a full boil.
Continue whisking vigorously while boiling for 1 full minute, then turn off  the heat.
Continue whisking vigorously for 5 full minutes.
Allow to cool, whisking occasionally.
When cooled, blend in the last 2 cups vegetable glycerine. Mix together well.
When it is completely cooled, package into air-tight bottles, and store in a cool, dark place.


Tip: This recipe easily doubles.


Note: Stevia leaves are an herb that is naturally very sweet, yet completely sugar-free. Stevioside powder is a concentrated and purified form of the stevia leaf. Very small amounts are needed to sweeten foods and beverages. it is a very good low-carb, sugar-free alternative for those who are concerned about their health.


Stevia leaf - the source for stevioside powder

Stevioside powder

Now brand stevia glycerite (Now you don't need to buy it anymore!)




Enjoy!

Leila


15 comments:

  1. I'd like to make this recipe, but this article is 5 years old. Do you have any updates or suggestions for particular brands of steviosides or vegetable glycerin to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would use any reputable food grade plant derived glycerine. Check with your health food stores. As far as stevioside powder, look online and order small samples from different companies, and see what you prefer. Some stevia extracts have more bitter aftertaste than others. My sources for intense sweeteners are for large food manufacturers, and would not be helpful to you. If you find a favorite, please let me know and I will share that with others. Thank you. Check out my new website BellaVos.com for health and beauty info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i buy debittered organic stevia powder from znaturals.com

      Delete
    2. That’s great

      Delete
  3. very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! Buy rice brand oil in India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing such great information. It has help me in finding out more detail about Stevia Glycerite Recipe.
    Stevia Zindagi celebrate with nature

    ReplyDelete
  5. given the cost of stevia powder, it's hardly worth going thru the trouble of making this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not about the cost of stevia powder. This is a copycat of Now Foods brand Stevia Glycerite. Current price for the original on Amazon is $16+ for an 8 oz bottle. Multiply that by 4 to get the quantity this recipe produces. $64. The copycat recipe greatly reduces that price. I can buy a 1qt bottle of Non-GMO food grade vegetable glycerine (which is the volume called for on this recipe) for $18.47. Now, I have zero need for a whole quart of stevia glycerite at a time. So I do a quarter recipe instead of a whole recipe. So $18.47/4 = $4.62, The stevia gets reduced to 37.5g. I can get 113g for $12.95. But I only need 37.5g so that equals $4.30 in powdered stevia. So, my cost for an 8oz bottle of this copycat recipe is $8.92 instead of $16+. It is a little less than half savings. For me, that's worth it. I would still have glycerin to use for other things and I would still have stevia powder to use when I needed that.

      Delete
    2. I’m glad you found a way to make it work fir you. I like making it in bulk because I’m so busy. I don’t want to have to worry about making it again for a while, and my family uses it daily. I don’t know about you, but I find it satisfying to make something myself. I like learning how. I know what’s in it. I can make changes to a formula when ever I choose. My cooking and formulating is always evolving. Keeps me young, lol...

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this informative information about stevia powder with us. It's very helpful. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the Stevia Glycerite Recipe recipe shared by the blogger, it is very practical and helpful to everyone. We are a supplier of plant extracts, and friends who are interested in this line can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep up the good job; your writing is outstanding and instructive. Thanks for sharing your blog Nitib Precio 140mg Capsule.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the positive comments

    ReplyDelete