Saturday, January 17, 2015

Cafe Rio Copy-Cat Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe (A healthier Version)

Cafe Rio Copy-Cat Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe

This is my version of Cafe Rio's rice. There are several copy-cat versions online, but I wanted to create one that tasted more authentic. I think the cilantro should be added after the rice is cooked, not before. Cilantro's delicate volatile oils disappear when cooked. Cooked lime juice and lime zest also looses it's brightness. The flavors are balanced in this easy recipe.

I use a rice cooker to cook the rice first. Then I stir in the cilantro, lime juice and lime zest. I put the rice on the "keep warm" setting and close the lid. In a few minutes the flavors meld beautifully.

In addition, coconut oil is a healthy oil for the body, so I chose to use that, and BioSalt is a healthier, balanced salt. You can choose either brown or white basmati rice (Cafe Rio uses white rice). I hope you enjoy it.


CILANTRO-LIME RICE Recipe:

2 c. brown basmati rice (or white basmati rice)
4 c. purified water, divided
1 t. organic chicken base
2 garlic cloves, mashed in a mortar & pestle
1 t. BioSalt (recipe on this blog)
1/2 sweet onion, chopped fine
1 T. coconut oil (deodorized 76 degree coconut oil does not interfere with the dish's flavor)
zest and juice of 1 lime
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped


Method:

In an automatic rice cooker, place all but the lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro.
Push down the rice cooker's COOK button.
When the rice is done cooking, fluff the rice.
Add the cilantro and the zest and juice of the lime. Toss well to mix.


Tip: I like to mash garlic with the salt called for in a recipe. The salt makes it easier to do.

Enjoy!

Leila


No comments:

Post a Comment