Monday, May 18, 2015

Easy Wasabi Potato Salad - A Real Restaurant Recipe - Improved!

I like collecting real restaurant recipes. This is a recipe for an unusual potato salad that I acquired along the way from the Asia Dog Restaurant. 

My Wasabi Potato Salad

We love the heat of wasabi. It is like horseradish in that the heat dissipates quickly through the nose, verses burning your mouth and throat for a prolonged length of time, like chilies. In fact most of the wasabi found in the United States is actually horseradish that has been colored green! Sad but true.

I have given you the original recipe that feeds 20. I am also giving you my revised scaled down version, for when you just want to make a little. I'd try the smaller version first, to test out how you like wasabi in your potato salad. You can even make more wasabi to put in this salad if you want to. I know I want to...

If you decide you want to make wasabi salad to feed 20, just multiply my revised recipe by 4.

Now, to be totally honest, I don't care for the original recipe from the Asia dog restaurant. Sorry Asia Dog. I think it is way too vinegary and boring. I do like the concept of wasabi potato salad however.

In our family, recipes are always evolving. You are probably starting to notice this if you have been following our blog. For example, more pancake recipes are coming. The pancakes just keep evolving, we can't help it. Who are we to stop their progress?

There are some comfort foods my mom used to make when I was little that I do not like to mess with though. Isn't it interesting how memories can be so closely associated with food?

Anyway, I posted the original potato salad recipe that serves 20, below for your own information.

But first, I am posting my version of Wasabi Potato Salad. I will probably mess with the recipe some more later, but I do like my version a lot as it is now. The vinegar is mellowed out and balanced, but the salad definitely has some kick!

Notice that I switched to white wine vinegar. I think rice vinegar would be terrific here too. I added fresh scallions (green onions), and added a bit of xylitol (which is sugar-free) for balance.

If you end up tweaking this recipe and love what you end up with, write in and tell us all about it.


Leila's Version of Wasabi Potato Salad:

Yield: Serves 6

28 ounces whole new red potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed
6 stalks celery, halved lengthwise and sliced
4 large scallions, minced
1/2 c. to 2/3 c. white wine vinegar
2/3 c. Best Foods mayonnaise
2 T. xylitol or Lakanto White Sugar Substitute (or sugar)
1 T. wasabi paste (1 T. wasabi powder plus 1 T. water)
1 to 1 1/2 t. sea salt or BioSalt, to taste
40 grinds freshly ground black pepper


Method:

Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

Cook until a knife inserted into the center of the potatoes meets little resistance, but they still hold their shape. Do not overcook.

Carefully drain the potatoes, let them cool to room temperature, and chill for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.

Prepare the wasabi paste by mixing 1 T. wasabi powder into 1 T. water and set aside.

Halve the potatoes lengthwise and then slice into pieces (thickness up to you).

Stir together the mayonnaise and wasabi paste in a medium bowl. Slowly add the vinegar, blending smooth as you go. Add the xylitol, salt, and pepper, to taste.

Place the potatoes, celery, and scallions into the bowl with the dressing and mix well. Chill until serving time.

At serving time, check for salt and adjust if needed.



Origional Asia Dog Restaurant Wasabi Potato Salad Recipe:

Yield: 20 servings (bulk recipe).

5 lbs whole russet potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed
1 bunch celery, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 c. white vinegar
1 1/2 c. mayonnaise
3 T. wasabi paste
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper


Method:

Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a bol over medium-high heat.

Cook until a knife inserted into the center of the potatoes meets little resistance, but they still hold their shape. Do not overcook.

Carefully drain the potatoes, let them cool to room temperature, and chill for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.

Halve the potatoes lengthwise and then slice into pieces (thickness up to you).

Stir together the potatoes and celery in a large mixing bowl, and then stir in the vinegar, mayonnaise and wasabi.

Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and chill.


Photos of the process:




Look at the ingredient list here...




















Enjoy,

Leila.

No comments:

Post a Comment