Monday, March 2, 2015

Easy Homemade Gyoza Dipping Sauce - Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free

Gyoza (Pot Stickers) Dipping Sauce

So my daughter was preparing a pan of organic gyoza for our dinner tonight, when we discovered at the last minute that we had NO DIPPING SAUCE!

Yikes!

I looked online at a few different recipes. They all seemed to be too heavy on the soy sauce, and too vinegar-y too. I wrote down some ideas and then proceeded to prepare my own version of it, tasting it along the way.  I don't like using more soy sauce than vinegar. I don't like the vinegar without some sweetness added to balance it out. I like a touch of heat too. I added a little toasted sesame oil, not too much or it will overpower everything else. I love lots of fresh ginger, and a little fresh garlic, so I added that too.

I have posted the recipe I came up with, and it closely resembles the sauce that comes in those little packets that most bags of frozen gyoza contain. But this sauce is better.

This sauce is also sugar free and gluten free.

This is a super simple recipe. It's quick too. I researched it and made it, just as my daughter finished our gyoza for dinner. I am posting it because it is a delicious version of this sauce, and I have listed several ingredient options, so you can play with the sauce to suit your tastes.

In the stores, a bottle of this sauce will cost you about $5.00. It is much less expensive (and tastier) to make it yourself.


Gyoza Dipping Sauce Recipe:

1/3 c. rice vinegar (gluten free and sugar free)
1/4 c. tamari soy sauce (gluten free)
2 t. xylitol or Lakanto white granular zero-cal sweetener, to taste (sugar-free)
1 t. toasted sesame oil
Sriracha to taste (or 1/4 to 1/2 t. red chili flakes)
1 t. finely grated ginger
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced fine (up to 2 cloves)
1 scallion, finely sliced

Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, if desired


Method:

Mix the vinegar, tamari, and xylitol to taste. Stir well to dissolve the xylitol.

Add the sesame oil and Sriracha. If you plan on storing the sauce for longer than 2 weeks time, it's best to leave out the fresh ginger, garlic, and scallion until serving time.

At serving time add the ginger, garlic, and scallion to taste.

Use as a dipping sauce for prepared gyoza.


Tips:

You may use garlic chili oil or regular chili oil in place of the red chili flakes or sriracha.

You may add wasabi to the sauce if desired.


Enjoy,

Leila




No comments:

Post a Comment