Make your own TASTY Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Why ruin perfectly good low-carb pancakes with sugar bomb syrup, when you can easily make this healthy version yourself?
I will not use commercial syrups that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners, and I hope you don't either. The healthier versions are expensive and hard to find, BUT, once you stock your healthy pantry, you will never need or want go back to buying pancake syrup. Party!
Low Carb Pancake Syrup Recipe:
1/2 c. xylitol
1/2 c. erythritol (or Lakanto Golden Zero-Calorie Sweetener)
1/4 t. glucomannan (Konjac) powder (up to 1/2 t. for a thick syrup)
1/4 t. xanthan gum or guar gum
1/4 t. BioSalt or sea salt (recipe on blog), to taste
2 c. purified water
2 t. maple flavoring
1 t. real vanilla extract
1 t. butter flavoring, optional
1 t. stevia glycerite , to taste (recipe on blog)
1.Premix the xylitol, erythritol, glucomannan, xanthan or guar gum, and salt. Sift or whisk together well. This prevents the glucomannan and xanthan or guar gum from clumping.
2.Place the sweetener/gum mixture in a small saucepan, on the stovetop. Add the water with stirring. Heat on medium heat until sweeteners are completely dissolved, stirring frequently. Do not boil.
3. Remove from heat. Add the flavorings to taste.
4. Add the stevia glycerite, starting with 1/2 t. and adjust to taste (note that a little stevia goes a long way).
5. Serve immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- You may use just xylitol or erythritol if that is all you have. The sweetening profile is improved by combining the 2 sweeteners however.
- You may use just the glucomannan to thicken the syrup. Start with only 1/2 t., adding up to 1 t. for a thick syrup.
- If the syrup isn't as smooth as you would like, pour the syrup into a blender and gently blend together a few seconds.
- I would start with 1/4 teaspoon glucomannan. If you want a thicker syrup, add up to 1/4 t. more and blend it in a blender, it will thicken nicely.
- Note that erythritol is tolerated much better by most people's digestive systems, compared to other sugar alcohols. Erythritol is also lower in carbs than xylitol, but xylitol is sweeter. Mixing the 2 is synergistic.
- You can omit the butter flavoring and just stir in 1 T. organic butter at the end.